Thanks to Unacceptable Jessica(opens new window) for the information on this chart. And just so she doesn’t get cocky, I downloaded the information from the link below just to make sure. Seriously, if you are not subscribed to Unacceptable Jessica’s substack please give it a try.
And the winner is…
The winner for the leading cause of death in Alberta in 2021 is…..may I have the envelope please….oh wow, folks, you’re not going to believe this, let’s have a big round of applause for “Other ill-defined and unknown causes of mortality.” This is a brand new category that only came into being in 2019, so it’s exciting to see that only in its third year in existence it is now number one, numero uno! Congratulations! Come up here and say a few words.
“I want to thank the Alberta government for recognizing me. It’s really quite an honor. But the unsung hero here and who I need to thank the most, because without it, government officials would never have taken the time to categorize deaths in such a way as to hide this entity that in every other circumstance is talked about with love and adoration. And now, it can even take credit for me! So thank you COVID-19 Vaccine for all you do! This ill-defined and unknown cause of death is for you!”
Number 1-10 ranked causes of death for 2021 in Alberta
- 4.0% / 604 / Accidental poisoning by and exposure to drugs and other biological substances
- 4.1% / 612 / Stroke, not specified as hemorrhage or infraction
- 4.9% / 728 / Diabetes mellitus
- 6.9% / 1,028 / Other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- 7.2% / 1,075 / Acute myocardial infarction
- 10.4% / 1,552 / Malignant neoplasms of trachea, bronchus and lung
- 12.9% / 1,939 / All other forms of chronic ischemic heart disease
- 13.0% / 1,950 / COVID-19, virus identified
- 14.2% / 2,135 / Organic dementia
- 22.4% / 3,362 / Other ill-defined and unknown causes of mortality
Total: 14,985 Deaths in Alberta (top ten)